So this week I thought I’d share with you 13 things that were overheard in the Kara/Nina house …
1. I know it’s 11:00 Mom, but I just remembered I have an essay due in English Comp. tomorrow.
2. Thank you for folding the laundry, honey, but that’s the DIRTY clothes hamper.
3. I said we kissed. I didn’t say we were dating.
4. Every architect student should spend a semester in Italy … the experience is worth the exorbitant cost!
5. Which scene are we re-enacting tonight?
6. Where’s the Vick’s Vapo-rub? The cat sounds like she’s dying.
7. No, I don’t think asking for a $300 IPod for my birthday is unreasonable.
8. It’s pneumonia … it happens a lot with stray kittens. They should only have to keep him at the vet’s 3 or 4 days. Add the cost of antibiotics … and does it really matter? We love him … right?
9. I think you should bump up the cable package to include the sports channels for Little Boy Blue for his birthday … I think he’d like that.
10. No, I didn’t turn the ringer off on my phone while I was at school. And yes, I will have to have a 3 hour Saturday detention. (And BTW, would you mind springing my phone from the office?)
11. But the stairs work so much better than my bureau for storing clean clothes.
12. I know that special shampoo is $10 a bottle. That’s why I asked you to buy it.
13. Yes they’re flowers. Why? Because 32 years ago today I asked you to go steady with me in high school and you said “yes”.
I love to write. Really I do. Okay, so not every day, but hey, it’s a job and everyone hates their job a couple times a month.
But then there are the days when everything comes together, the stars align, the characters promise to behave, settings pop off the page and your prose just shines! I love those days. It’s during those times I come up with some gems that make their way to the pages of my books.
So this list is 13 of my favorite lines from my books.
1. But damn, he’d been treading water a hell of a long time while he waited for destiny to change the course of his life.
2. “Are you finished speculating? Because I can tell you the facts if you’re interested or I can just wait here while you try to attempt to put together a puzzle with missing pieces.” He lifted a shoulder. “Either way I’m good.”
3. “A man intent on conquering a woman and adding her to his proverbial notched belt holds no credibility with someone as innocent as Julie.”
4. Damon laughed and held his hands up. “I’ll go willingly. Please, just promise you’ll hurt me.”
5. The hurt tumbled over anger, rolling into an emotional snowball that plunged headlong without regret into Meghan’s feelings.
6. He’d abandoned all pretense and now was as focused on getting laid as he was on collecting information from the bimbo. He figured she swung whichever way the wind was blowing. And the way he was feeling, he hoped she’d think a monsoon had swept in her direction when he found her.
7. Biting back a smile, Ayden watched her glistening tears turn into fury. That he could handle. An angry woman was one hundred times easier to placate than a despondent one.
8. Her long, muscular legs that he’d admired in the great room, started somewhere around her neck.
9. Peter wasn’t sure if the guilt weighed on his facial features like it did on his heart.
10. Heat flushed her cheeks. “Peter, making love in the kitchen is one thing. But playing tortured slave girl to your master fetish, well … I’m just not sure that’s something well-adjusted adults do.”
Blue Moon Rising
11. Jayda Kynslan sauntered into the Whip and Bull Tavern wanting only two things: a cold beer and a hot cock.
12. Men, she’d come to believe, were nothing but scumbags of trouble on the garbage heap of misery.
Shadows of Fire
13. Firemen fought fires as a team. They hung by their balls as a team. Go team!