This week I’m happy to welcome author, Jennifer Leeland! Jen is a dear friend I met through Liquid Silver Books. We released one of our books together and the publisher still hasn’t recovered from that party.
Jen, I see you have many books out with lots of publishers. Could you tell us how long you’ve been writing and how you got started?
I started writing seriously in 2005 and I was published in December of 2006. When my father died in 2002, he left behind a million books and a completed manuscript. My mother told me he’d never submitted it to anyone, afraid it wasn’t “good enough”.
I dabbled in writing, but also never thought anything I wrote was “good enough”. I was determined to follow that dream that both my father and I had; to be published.
I got a few rejections but finally contracted two Christmas stories-one with Cobblestone Press and one with The Wild Rose Press. Since then, I’ve contracted several books with Cobblestone, The Wild Rose Press, Whiskey Creek Press and Liquid Silver Books.
To be honest, though, I started writing a lot of my stories so I could kill off someone who pissed me off. In a book. Not for real. Seriously.
Ah hem. Right. Remind me never to get on your bad side! *vbg* Okay, next question … I know you’re working on a couple of series. What made you decide to continue your main story?
You make it sound like I had a choice! LOL. With “Taking Command”, the villain gave me absolutely no motivation for what he’d done or why he wanted to kill the heroine. Everything in that first book about the villain was what the other characters saw and heard him do. When I wrote “The End’ on “Taking Command”, the villain escaped and popped up with an entire past that sent me into a tailspin. With that, I knew I had two more books to write. (This series is available at Liquid Silver Books.)
“The Mask She Wears” is about a group of people who all visit the same house. In a small town, there usually isn’t the BDSM clubs you see prevalent in urban areas. Those with different sexual practices have to find other ways to meet and hook up. “The Secret She Keeps” is the sequel and I’m writing the third. All of them feature a very sexy dominant named David Peters, who hosts parties for those in the Lifestyle. Again, the series began with several characters who all had their own stories to tell, so I write them until they’re done talking to me. (This series is available at The Wild Rose Press as part of their Scarlet Rose line.)
That’s a really long way of saying “I write the sequels to make the voices shut up.”
Which segues right into my next question … are you on any medication, hon? No, just kidding that wasn’t my next question. I noticed you write in many different genres futuristic, BDSM, and I know you have some contemporary stories. Are there any you enjoy writing more than others? (You like how I did that?)
Um, no medication at the moment, though I had some Nyquil induced posts that amused my friends.
I think my favorite genre to write is ALL of them. LOL. “Taking Command” is a science fiction erotic BDSM romantic suspense. (Say that three times fast).
I love to write romance, but I love suspense. Science fiction is a blast because I can do ANYTHING and make stuff up. I love that. (Jen’s world building is amazing … trust me when I say if you visit Asberek … you’re going to want to return again and again!)
Oh, I luuuurve your “Command” series. Could you tell us a little more about those novels?
I’m so glad you loved them!!! The “Command” series is set in the 23rd century and begins with the colonization of the planet Asberek. Cooped up on a space ship, humans have learned to deal with the long trips through space with Virtual Fantasy Rooms. Good thing, since Asberek’s atmosphere has been poisoned by a chemical Synthetic Endorphins Xstasy which increases sexual hormones. The name, S.E.X. given to the chemical as a joke, belies the serious nature of the drug. On the planet’s surface, if you don’t “take care” of your sexual needs, you’ll die.
In the midst of this chaos, two alien civilizations interfere in the human colonization which results in murder and danger. When you add some weird cult-like rituals and DNA mutation, it gets a bit complicated, but the human beings that come to Asberek are more than up for the task. (Oh, I jumped the gun … but you get the idea about this wonderful planet!)
What got you writing erotica and more specifically — BDSM?
I first read erotic romance and have always been fascinated with the BDSM aspects of some of it, especially Joey W. Hill. I loved to read it, so I wanted to try and write it. The Wild Rose Press happened to have a contest and I entered. They published “Garden of Sin” a few months later. The more I wrote, the more I liked it. Writing it, I mean. Well, I LIKE it….okay, never mind. (Jen’s blush starts somewhere around her toes … but I’m not touching that statement … if you’re interested in finding out more about she means, there’s always the comment section. I’m just sayin’…)
I need to get new glasses. Do you like these snazzy designer ones or the these with the rhinestones?
Oh the Rhinestones definitely. (Personally I like how they match the twinkle in my eye!)
Tell us a little bit about your writing habits. Plotter or pantzer? Mood Music? Favorite Food? You know that kind of stuff
I’m a panster. Totally. And I do have music associated with certain books but I usually don’t play it when I’m writing. I will play it to get in the mood to write. I ALWAYS have a cup of coffee when I write. (She agreed to hang out here only if the cabana boys kept her happy with Starbucks … and massages.)
If we asked your friends to name 3 personality traits about you, what do you think they would say?
What would THEY say? Oh my God! I have no idea! Um, talkative? Maybe persistent. Definitely obnoxious. LOL. You’ll have to ask them, I think. (Jen forgot to mention funny. When I’m around this woman I boot whatever beverage I’m drinking at the time through my nose. You’d think I’d learn, but nope. I’ve ruined more shirts hanging with Jen!)
A hot soak in the tub or a mad shopping trip to the mall?
Oh the tub definitely. And not alone. *wink* (Yes, Jen the cabana boys are available as soon as we finish this interview. Just a couple more questions.)
Anything else you’d like to share with your readers?
Well, “The Secret She Keeps” comes out October 17th. “Regaining Command”, the third book in the Command Series is coming out soon.
Jen makes amazing book trailers. Here’s the one for “Resisting Command”.
Jen has agreed to hang around awhile with the cabana boys. Oh, look she’s dancing the Macarana with them. Well, I’m sure I can pull her away long enough to answer your questions.
After showing her some comment love you can visit her website, blog (which is a hoot), or friend her on MySpace.
This week I’ve enlisted more of my author friends who have agreed to let me post their pictures. I hope some of these are your favorite authors. (Please note: If you click on their name it will take you to their website.) It’s always fun to see if their image matches your imagination. So without further adieu, here they are …
1. Cindy Kirk is a member of Maine Romance Writers even though she lives in Nebraska. (She can’t resist the lure of the Atlantic ocean and lighthouses.) She is a multi-published author with Harlequin and Avon. Her most recent release, One Night Stand was released in May 2008.
2. AJ Matthews is one of two guys who boldly went where most men won’t venture … my blog! And happy me! AJ came in a kilt! He’s such a good sport. AJ lives on the other side of the pond and he is multi-published with Loose-Id and Liquid Silver Books. He writes paranormal erotic romance. Hot stuff!
3. Celine Chatillon designed a cartoon image of herself. She’s really into making wonderful comics. Celine is a multi-published erotic author with Mojocastle Press, eXtasy, and Liquid Silver Books. Her newest release, Beautiful Dreamer is a summer 2008 release from Liquid Silver.
4. Jennifer Leeland is my latest release buddy! (Sorry, Jen at the last minute, I saved both our dignity and didn’t post the other picture! LOL!) I love her. She makes me laugh all the time. She is multi-published with Whiskey Creek, Cobblestone Press, The Wild Rose Press, and of course, Liquid Silver Books. Her latest release, Resisting Command, is the second in her science fiction/erotica/BDSM “Command” series and has earned several wonderful reviews.
5. Nina Mamone is a member of the Maine Romance Writers and a really good friend! (She did some major brainstorming with me on my first shifter story … mwah!) Her debut novella, Hard to Guard is available through Samhain Publishing. It just came out in print this spring and is available in the I Dream of Dragons Anthology – Volume Two.
7. Roscoe James’ hawt debut novel Deer Run Falls was released this week from Liquid Silver Books. He’s got several more releases coming down the pike, including White Swan, a July release from Liquid Silver. The man looks all lawyer-like in this picture … but don’t let that fool you. Give him some Master’s (bourbon) and a kilt and the man is hanging from the chandelier. Trust me … I’ve witnessed the transformation myself! Congrats again Roscoe! *Note: Roscoe was going to show up here in his kilt … but Jen wore it home from his release party.
8. Teagan Oliver is a member of Maine Romance Writers. Two words sum up Teagan … “Road Trip!” The woman will pile into the car and drive hours with no particular destination. Yes, she is slightly touched. She is multi-published with Five Star and Wings E-Press. Obsidian, her romantic suspense novel will be re-released in large print in October.
9. Xandra Gregory writes erotic science fiction for Liquid Silver Books. If you ask her about being a writer and about writing in general … she’ll tell you … and tell you … and tell you … oh, sorry, I nodded off. No, just kidding. That’s from Xandra’s own words … she’ll talk about writing to just about anyone!
Obviously, that’s not her real picture. She just mentioned her hair got out of control and she felt like that. Here’s Xandra …
10. Roxy Harte lives in Ohio with her wonderful husband and daughter (and another daughter, son-in-law, and grandchild down the road). Roxy is a multi-published erotic romance author with Loose-Id and Liquid Silver Books. Her very hawt stories about the BDSM lifestyle have garnered some wonderful reviews. She is my go-to author when I need help or reference material. Her newest release Unholy Promises – Chronicles of Surrender is a summer 2008 release with Liquid Silver Books.
11 Darragha Foster (who looks a whole lot like her wild great-grandmother) is another multi-published author with Liquid Silver Books. She writes fantastic stories a little (okay waaay) out of the box. Her latest release Teaching Old Gods New Tricks was recently released in print! Darragha is wonderful with tarot cards and will happily do a reading for you. (Click on the above link for all the details.)
12. KA Mitchell never really grew up and that’s why she sent this picture! She’s another one of those authors who found Maine Romance Writers and joined our crazy ranks … even though she lives in another state 4 hours away! (Hey I live in Maine and I’m 4 hours from the meetings!) Ms. Mitchell is multi-published in M/M erotica with Samhain publishing. Her latest release Diving in Deep was a red-hot release in March of 2008.
13. Jeanne Barrack couldn’t find a picture of herself so she sent this avatar. I was dying to know what she looks like … but I can’t have everything … even if it is my blog *stomps foot*. Oh, sorry, hissy fit over. Back to Jeanne. She’s multi-published with Loose-Id and Liquid Silver Books. She’s currently working on a sequel in the Terran Realm series. Jeanne loves Irish folk lore and her knowledge comes through in her stories. (I also understand she’s a wonderful singer … but she has brought her guitar over here yet!)
So there, you have it …
Seems I ran out of room on this Thursday Thirteen…
I wouldn’t do that to you twice …
Actually, the pictures are misnumbered…
the thirteenth picture is …
I’m pleased to say that Emma Sanders, author, CP and dear friend has gifted me with a blog award. This is a neat award because it’s not only a little kudo, it’s “blog with a purpose”. I’m not sure my blog is anymore than my personal ramblings, but I’m happy to think someone thinks it has a purpose! Emma’s one of my CPs and without her help, I’m sure I wouldn’t be a published author. She’s been wonderful reading through and critiquing all my stuff (and one of my last books had a minor hole in the plot and she found it!)and I love her for it!
The rules are:
1. nominate 5 blogs which haven’t had this award before (I thought this would be difficult, but I’m having a really hard time choosing only 5 *sigh*)
2. each of the blogs must have a purpose
3. the nominated blogs must make a link back to this page
4. the logo from the award must be put on their blog and it must link back to this blog!
But you know me, I never follow the rules. I’m going to give you links to 5 wonderful blogs and I hope you enjoy going there. I will not however, wrestle the authors and ask them to link back here or post to 5 other blogs. Mostly because I’m breaking another rule. I’m linking to more than 5 blogs and a couple of them already had this award.
1. Tip of the Quill – Jennifer Linforth is the author of the upcoming “Madrigal” series. Her first book is a continuation of the Phantom of the Opera and is due out from Highland Press in the fall of 2008. She blogs on wonderful historical topics and LOTS of phantom information. She’s also one of CPs who keeps me on track. I’m not sure I could do this whole publishing thing without her in my corner.
2. Under and Over – Denise Rosetti is a multi-published author from Australia who always has wonderful writing snippets or just fun stuff on her blog. I love going “down” there to visit. She’s just a very neat lady and willing to share herself with new writers like me!
3. Alien Barbeque – April Martinez is head of the art department over at Liquid Silver Books. I love visiting her blog because she always posts the beautiful book covers she has designed for LSB and other publishers. The woman is very talented. (I would have linked to Anne Cain, my very talented cover artist, but she doesn’t have an active blog … both very talented ladies!)
4. Roxy’s Flog Blog – Roxy Harte is a very talented erotic author. She’s helped me on more than one occasion with information on certain scenes involving bondage. But, I don’t want you to get the wrong idea … on her blog she shares her personal struggles and triumphs in publication. It’s just fun to pop over there and see what she’s up to.
5. MS is a crappy disease that can really drag people down. But there is nothing more uplifting than visiting the blogs of people with this disease that get up every morning, smile at the world, and keep going despite their disability. Mima’s Doings and Disabled Not Dead are two such wonderful woman who persevere despite their circumstances.
6. The Redneck Romance Writer – (I told you I couldn’t just pick 5) Jennifer Leeland (McKenzie) is a awesome writer I met through Liquid Silver. She has a wicked sense of humor and a heart the size of Texas. I visit her blog nearly every day. (Don’t yell at me Jen … I know I should be writing the sequel to “Healer’s” … but sometimes you’re too much fun to hang around!)
And Mima is so sweet, she gave me another award “You Make My Day” for my blog, but try as I might, I can’t get the picture to post… you all will just have to believe me! Really … she did!
I’m over at SExpressions, the Liquid Silver Blog today. Talking with Jennifer Leeland whose book “Resisting Command” was released with “Love’s Bounty“.
Come on over there and leave a comment and have another chance at winning a download of one of our books!
Also … don’t forget to leave a comment below and have a chance to win a download of “Blind Love“.
I love the morning after…