I haven’t always hated December. As a matter of fact, I’m pretty sure as a kid I met it with new mittens and eager anticipation. But as I’ve gotten older I’ve decided I’ve come to dread this month of the year. Hands down. Least. Favorite. Month. Let me count the ways …
1. The fact that the days are shorter and shorter and even after the Winter Solstice, there aren’t enough days left in the month to see an appreciable difference in the sunset. And turning on all the lights at 3 pm is just plain depressing.
2. Winter arrives. ‘Nuf said.
3. Junk food EVERYWHERE! I know this should be a good thing, but I just don’t have the willpower to say “no”. It taunts me until I capitulate and enjoy its sinful calories.
4. Snow. Really, this goes with #2 and my dislike of the season. But it’s wet and messy and I have a hard time walking in it.
5. And the biggest reason … SHOPPING. I don’t go to the stores on Black Friday. I don’t pull out the circulars every week and check to see what’s on sale. Really, I’m like a guy when it comes to Christmas shopping. I go in for the kill and walk out as quickly as possible. But I’m a woman in that I worry whether I’ve gotten something they’ll love in the right color. *sigh* Of course online shopping is a Godsend, but still … *shivers* shopping in general gives me hives.
Poor December. It didn’t choose to have all of that heaped upon it. But there it is. What about you? Are you looking forward to the last month of the year and all the holiday hoopla? Or are you like me and wishing you could sleep straight through to Jan 2?